Our Version Media excels at co-creating projects that bring communities and organisations together. In all that we do, we place our communities first.
In February 2021, Solent NHS Trust commissioned Our Version Media to extend the reach of their work tackling misinformation about COVID-19 vaccination and to ensure credible information reached the region’s black British, African and Caribbean communities. With many in our communities having concerns, anxiety and questions about vaccination, we worked with the Trust and our communities to create opportunities for people to put their pressing vaccination questions to the Trust’s specialists.
Much of this work took place during national lockdowns. Over eight weeks, we conducted a series of key events and initiatives to equip people with the information they need to make an informed choice about whether or not to get vaccinated.
As part of our package of work we:
- Hosted a public COVID-19 Vaccination Q&A session as a safe space for members of the community to discuss their fears and concerns about the vaccine with the Solent NHS Trust;
- Hosted COVID-19 Vaccination Q&A sessions in trusted community spaces, such as a church Zoom, inviting Solent NHS Trust in to answer people’s questions;
- Created a myth-busting team of COVID-19 Vaccination Communications Champions from black and Asian communities who, after briefing from Solent NHS Trust’s vaccination expert, were able to answer questions and provide credible information within their communities and peer groups. They also held Zoom sessions in their workplaces and university groups, shared information on social media and on their own digital platforms;
- Made a “Black People and COVID-19 Vaccination Q&A” podcast where members of our black communities put their pressing vaccination questions to the Clinical Director of Solent NHS Trust’s Vaccination Programme;
- Circulated information directly to Hampshire’s black British, African and Caribbean communities through our emailing lists and private messaging platforms, like WhatsApp groups;
- Added a “COVID-19 vaccine FAQs” webpage to our website. Compiled by Solent NHS Trust, it contains commonly asked questions from black, Asian & ethnic communities; and
- Connected Solent NHS Trust with key members across the communities to help them improve their services for the region’s black communities.